How politicians frustrated my efforts to have more women in elective positions - Obaseki



Gov Godwin Obaseki







By Editor


May 2, 2023



Edo State Governor, Mr Godwin Obaseki on Tuesday explained how political leaders frustrated his efforts to have more women in elective positions in the state.

DailyMonitorngr reports that Obaseki gave the explanation at the commissioning of Sen. Daisy Danjuma Women Centre in Benin City.

The governor, who was reacting to Sen Daisy's request that more women should be assisted in elective positions, noted that politicians in the state are making it difficult for him to have more women in elective positions.

He lamented that if women were elected into the State House of Assembly in 2019 election they wouldn't have ran away from inauguration.

"If I had women as members-elects during the last section of the Edo Assembly, they wouldn't have run away from the swearing.

"I grew up understanding that women are to be empowered. So, left for me, I will make sure that my House of Assembly is dominated by women.

"When we were screening for the last House of Assembly election, I said which ever constituency in Edo that has two seats, one should be reserved for woman but my fellow politicians have not agreed and didn't agree". 

"It is part of the fight we have been having. We have to ensure that we have more women in future and be rest assured that we will continue the fight. In my cabinet, I have 50 percent of women, that is what I have control of", he said.

He added that the fight to give more slots to women is a collective fight, "because every time I speak on issue, they think I am out to make trouble and fight".

Earlier in her remark. Sen. Daisy Danjuma who said for a long time, the larger society did not take concrete steps to support victims of abuse, added that she was being honoured by the state government because of what she did when she represented her constituency in the national assembly.

According to her, Mr Governor, you are honouring me today as a woman that has represented her constituency. I want you to make sure more women are elected. It is because I was elected that is why you realized my capacity. Many women can do a lot but they need to be given the opportunity.

"Many women can do a lot but they need to be given the opportunity, even when women are married to foreigners or outsiders. When I wanted to contest, they said she is married to somebody from Taraba. I told them that I cannot forget my state of origin.

"In spite of the fact that I am married from Taraba, you can see the impact I have created in my society. So, please encourage them. For what a man can do, a woman can do it twice better. When you train a woman, you train a nation.

"Please encourage the women. we make a lot of impact in the society. If you notice all over the world, countries that have progressed even in Africa, they have women in key positions. Please note it, a country cannot progress without women. 

"You love your mother and for that reason, you will love your wife, you will love your daughters. Please, make sure women are not discriminated against. They should be given opportunity to prove themselves. I have proved myself and that is why I am here", she added.

DailyMonitorngr reports that the centre houses a shelters for female victims of human trafficking, irregular migration, sexual assault referral centre.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Corruption allegation case: Federal High Court orders service of summons on Gov Obaseki

Six old commissioners make Obaseki's list

Edo Guber 2024: Come home to liberate us, group appeals to Federal Permanent Secretary