Police invitation: Edo LP chairman stands with Akpata




Comrade Kelly Ogbaloi, Edo LP chairman




By Editor

April 20, 2024





The Chairman, Edo State Chapter of the Labour Party (LP), Comrade Kelly Ogbaloi has denied a media report, linking him to a statement that the invitation of the candidate of the party in the September 21, 2024 governorship election, Barrister Olumide Akpata by the Police had nothing to do with the party but that of his personal affair.

Dailymonitorngr reports that the LP chairman, made the denial on Saturday in a statement made available to newsmen in Benin City.

Ogbaloi, who expressed disappointment over the alleged comment, also denied granting interview to any journalist on the matter.

DailyMonitorngr recall that the party governorship candidate was attacked by hoodlums suspected to be political thugs last week at a function at the University of Benin, UINBEN Staff Club.

According to him, let me say clearly that I didn't grant interview to any journalist at all. It is a fact that when the incident happened, few persons spoke to me who did not  described themselves as journalists.

"There was no time I position myself in an interview in that respect, and so I did mention to them that I was invited by the police.

“But it shows some resentment when I said that the police have over escalated the issue by inviting me in my person. 

"I mentioned that to the individual who spoke with me that my candidate, Barr. Olumide Akpata was in UNIBEN to honour invitation, but however, I was not there with him at that particular time.

"That was not to say that we are saying that or I said  that the issue was outrightly our candidate's personal matter.


"Whatever concerns Akpata, concerns Labour Party. We are intertwined. And so, if he had gone to UNIBEN, it is not completely disconnected from his personality and the personality of Labour Party.

"And for me to be quoted as saying that it was a personal issue, which have nothing to do with Labour Party is not my statements and I want to make that very clear", he said.

Ogbaloi, who insisted that, he never granted interview to journalist on the matter, however, appealed to members of the party in the state and beyond to discard the news report.

He promised to use his position as the state chairman of the party to campaign vigorously across the state for the victory of the party in the governorship election.

He also added that he and the governorship candidate would honour the police invitation next week Monday.

"It is concluded that we shall be with the police, about 2.00 pm on Monday next week. So that piece of news is regretted and I hope that journalists must make themselves extremely professional in taking interview from people. 

“To my teeming supporters and those who must have read that piece of news, I’m here to say that, that was not my statement; that news was never coming from me. 

"Akpata is my candidate, his business today is my business, and it is as well the business of the party.

"I will drive to all logical conclusion what will enthrone him as the next governor of Edo State. I want to  further say that those who insinuate that there is a disconnect between the candidate and the party are day dreaming. Such thought only exist in figment of their imagination.

"We are one indivisible entity and our  task is to ensure that Labour Party form the next government of Edo State", he added.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Corruption allegation case: Federal High Court orders service of summons on Gov Obaseki

Six old commissioners make Obaseki's list

Edo Guber 2024: Come home to liberate us, group appeals to Federal Permanent Secretary